Aller au contenu

Are you a candidate for expatriation?

Lower cost of living, more affordable real estate prices, milder climate... more and more French people are considering moving abroad. But be careful: before leaving, you'll need to check a number of things in terms of health coverage or taxation if you don't want to be caught off guard once you're there. Here is the essential information you need to know to make an informed decision.

Health and social coverage

If you are considering moving to Spain, the PortugalIf you are moving to France, Switzerland or any other country in the European Economic Area (EEA), remember to obtain the "S1" form from your health insurance fund before you leave France. This will allow you to register with the health insurance company in your new country of residence. This will allow you to receive treatment in your new country and to be reimbursed according to the legislation of that country, in the same way as a person with social security in that country.


Some retirees move abroad in the hope of paying less than in France. However, just because you live most of the year outside of France does not mean that you lose your French tax resident status. In any case, this is what the Conseil d'Etat has just ruled in a decision rendered last June. It considers that a retiree living abroad who receives a retirement pension paid by a French organization must be considered as having kept in France the center of his or her economic interests, and as such as being fiscally domiciled in France, as long as this pension is his or her only source of income. In practical terms, however, this decision only concerns retirees who are moving to countries that do not have a tax treaty with France. However, the countries of choice for expatriation candidates - Morocco, Portugal... - are often those that have concluded this type of agreement and that roll out the red carpet to candidates for expatriation.


A European regulation that will come into force on August 17 simplifies the thorny issue of international successions. What does it provide? Applicable to people who have property interests in at least two countries, it allows you to choose the law that will apply to your estate when the time comes: that of the country in which you will have your habitual residence at the time of your death, even if it is not a member of the European Union, or that of the country of which you are a national.

It is best to consult a notary before leaving and, if necessary, make the necessary arrangements to ensure that your assets are distributed according to your wishes. This will also be an opportunity to review your matrimonial regime if you are married. Because when you change countries, you can also change your matrimonial regime without knowing it...

Register at the Consulate

Even if it is not mandatory, once you are in France, it is in your interest to register on the register of French nationals living outside of France. This will simplify your daily life, especially for all your administrative procedures (issuing a passport, etc.). In addition, you will be able to benefit from the assistance of the consulate in case of a hard blow or a health crisis. In exchange for your registration, you will be given a consular card valid for 5 years, attesting that you are under French consular protection.


Customer service

One of our tax specialists will answer you as soon as possible

Hello and welcome to VAP Consulting. To quickly get in touch with one of our tax specialists, click on the button below and contact us via WhatsApp. We are here to answer your questions and help you in your professional or expatriation project.